The role physicians play in the nonclinical setting is becoming more complex as the medical practice landscape evolves. The Doctors Insurance Agency has dozens of liability policies that cover the medical director services either by endorsement or as a stand alone claims made policy.
Researching the data available with the Medical Group Managers Association website, we compiled lists of job functions, duties and responsibilities.
Our policies cover them all (including patient care)… It is common for medical directors of pathology departments, hospitals, dialysis centers, skilled nursing facilities, adult day care centers and medi-spa's to require coverage for the administrative and supervisory services as well as part-time or limited part-time direct patient care.
Main functions of a medical director:
Holds the senior medical administrative position in a medical group practice
- Responsible for a number of activities related to the delivery of medical care and clinical services such as cost management, utilization review, quality assurance, and medical protocol development
- Possible supervision of mid level, allied or other medical doctor providers.
- Oversee the activities of group physicians, including the recruiting and credentialing processes.
If you have a copy of the contract you can complete a short 2 to 3 page application and submit the section of your contract as it pertains to the duties and services. An example of some of the duties and services that we have insured in our medical director programs are as follows:
Directorship duties and responsibilities -
- Attend meetings (board, committee, etc.)
- Develop and manage a budget, including presenting reports to practice staff
- Monitor quality and appropriateness of medical care
- Provide guidance and leadership for performance guidelines
- Develop policies and procedures
- Manage strategic development
- Oversee clinical peer review
- Oversee documentation and care planning
According to the MGMA Medical Directorship and On-Call Compensation Survey:
11 percent more medical directors reported handling "quality and appropriateness of care" as part of their duties and responsibilities
15 percent more medical directors said they engage in strategic development
12 percent more said they provide guidance and leadership for performance guidelines
14 percent more handle physician relations and/or representation
The Doctors Insurance Agency and our 10 dedicated professional liability insurance specialists can help you bring our years of experience as a local and national healthcare professional liability broker and agent…We can help you find the right fit for your medical director professional liability insurance.